Question: What fun holiday activity gives people a chance to test their knowledge of Christmas history and customs?
Answer: Christmas trivia, of course!
Of all the holiday themed party games out there, trivia games are perhaps the best for filling people up with the Christmas spirit. That’s because they challenge us to recall details about all those Christmas songs, movies, and traditions that hold fond places in our hearts.
So, if you’re planning to incorporate trivia into your holiday gathering here are a few trivia questions to challenge your guests.. Certainly you can come up with other questions on your own by browsing Wikipedia but here are a few organized by difficulty to get you started.
Easy (Answers Below)
- Q: In the song “Frosty the Snowman,” what made Frosty come to life?
- Q: What Christmas decoration was originally made from strands of silver?
- Q: Who played George Bailey in the Christmas classic “It’s a Wonderful Life?”
- Q: Per a recent holiday fad, what “spy” hides around the house, reporting back to Santa on who has been naughty and nice?
- Q: What Christmas beverage is also known as “milk punch?”
- Q: One of Santa’s reindeer shares a name with a famous symbol of Valentine’s Day. Which reindeer is that?
- Q: What Christmas-themed ballet premiered in Saint Petersburg, Russia in 1892?
- Q: In 1981, Bob and Doug McKenzie released their own version of a classic Christmas song. Which song is that?
- Q: What animated 2004 film is about a train that carries kids to the North Pole on Christmas Eve?
- Q: What much-reviled Christmas edible is known for its long shelf life?
- An old silk hat 6. Cupid
- Tinsel 7. The Nutcracker
- Jimmy Stewart 8 The Twelve Days of Christmas
- The Elf on the Shelf 9. The Polar Express
- Eggnog 10. Fruitcake
Not As Easy (Answers Below)
- Q: In Charles Dickens’ “A Christmas Carol,” what was Mr. Scrooge’s first name?
- Q: What Bing Crosby song is the best-selling single ever?
- Q: In the early 1800s, the first gingerbread houses were reportedly inspired by what famous fairy tale?
- Q: “Miracle on 34th Street” centers on what real-life department store?
- Q: In the song “Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer,” what “incriminating” evidence was found on Grandma’s back?
- Q: How many reindeer are featured in the poem “Twas the Night Before Christmas?”
17.Q: What traditional Christmas decoration is actually a parasitic plant?
18.Q: In “The Muppet Christmas Carol,” who played Scrooge? Hint: It wasn’t a muppet.
19.Q: What beverage company has been using Santa Claus in its advertising since 1931?
20.Q: According to legend, what holiday goodies were shaped to resemble a shepherd’s staff, as a way to remind children of the shepherds who visited baby Jesus?
- Ebenezer 16. Eight (no Rudolph!)
- White Christmas 17. Mistletoe
- Hansel and Gretel 18 Michael Caine
- Macy’s 19. Coca-Cola
- Claus marks 20. Candy canes
Difficult ( Answers Below)
21.Q: In the movie “A Christmas Story,” what was the name of the next door neighbors whose dogs ate the Christmas turkey?
- Q: What figure from English folklore came to be associated with Santa Claus?
- Q: Name the animatronic cassette-playing bear toy that every kid wanted for Christmas in the mid 80s.
- Q: In the 1964 classic “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer,” what was the name of Rudolph’s faithful elf companion?
- Q: According to the folklore of Austria and other countries, what horned figure punishes naughty children at Christmastime?
- Q: In the TV special “How the Grinch Stole Christmas,” what three words best describe the Grinch?
- Q: What well-known Christmas carol became the first song ever broadcast from space in 1965?
- Q: In what modern-day country was Saint Nicholas born?
- Q: What Christmas carol does the Peanuts gang sing at the end of “A Charlie Brown Christmas?”
- Q: “Twas the Night Before Christmas” was originally published under what name?
- Q: What holiday movie sequel includes a cameo by Donald Trump?
- The Bumpuses 26. Stink, stank, stunk
- Father Christmas 27. Jingle Bells
- Teddy Ruxpin 28. Turkey
- Hermey 29. Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
- Krampus 30. A Visit from St. Nicholas
- Home Alone 2
If you answered at least 25 of these correctly, congratulations – you made the Nice List. If not… well, Merry Christmas anyways!
THESE QUESTIONS AS SHOWN ON WHITE ELEPHANT RULES WEBSITE